As business owners or managers, it is important to remember that our most important assets are our employees! Keeping them fit, healthy, and happy, results in a positive work environment, increased productivity and your employees will love you for it. Encouraging our employees to embrace fitness as a lifestyle choice pays off tenfold.
Here’s 6 reasons why:
1. Fit employees are less likely to get sick or injured. A person who is physically fit is generally more resistant to the common flu or cold that comes through the office. Reduced absenteeism and lower health-care expenditures are the result of a fit and healthy employee base.
2. Fit employees have way more energy! One of the major benefits of regular exercise is increased and sustained energy throughout the work day. This energy allows the employee to stay focused on the task at hand, bringing the best of themselves to each job they start, no matter what time of day it is! Coffee breaks or energy drinks cause employees to crash almost immediately and it’s super tough to focus when we have limited energy.
3. Fit employees have more self-confidence. A fit and healthy individual tends to have a high level of self-confidence because they have shown themselves that they can accomplish what it takes to obtain a level of physical fitness. Self-confidence empowers the employee to challenge themselves and strive for higher levels of achievement in the workplace. Many successful CEO’s choose to exercise before they attend an important meeting or presentation, solely due to the increased focus, confidence, and attentiveness that results from a quick sweat!
4. Fit employees tend to have better attitudes and glow with positivity around their fellow colleagues. They tend to have a physical and mental balance that results in a more positive attitude in the workplace, rubbing off on those they work around.
5. Fit employees are way less stressed. Regular exercise releases the physical and emotional tensions that life brings our way, thus a fit employee tends to have lower overall stress levels than an employee who does not engage in regular exercise. Endorphins really do change the way we think and act!
6. Encouraging a fitness program demonstrates a concern for an employee’s well-being and certainly pays off! Employees notice when an employer shows concern for the health and well-being of their employee base through a variety of wellness programs. Further, it has been shown that employee turnover is significantly lower among employees that take advantage of a wellness program implemented by their employer.
All in all, more and more companies are incorporating fitness “perks” or benefits for their employees. Research shows that companies who do incorporate these plans, benefit in the long run. These 6 reasons were just the tip of the iceberg of what a wellness plan can do for your business!